- Graduated from Sir George Williams University, Montreal
- Studied painting with Roy Kiyooka & Jean Goguen
- Attended photography workshops with Lee Friedlander (1975) & Gary Winogrand (1979)
Curated Camerart for Galerie Optica (24 Quebec artists using cameras), Montreal;
Commissioned catalogue essays from Les Levine, Pierre Vallières & Chantal Pondbriand, 1975.
Curated the exhibition Halsman’79 (with Cornell Capa) – a retrospective exhibition of the portrait photographer Philippe Halsman for the International Center of Photography in New York, 1979.
Commissioned to document the making of the John Huston film Annie, along with William Eggleston, Stephen Shore, Joel Meyerowitz & Gary Winogrand. Project resulted in the book Annie on Camera, 1980.
Published first full-length book New York Inside Out, Oxford University Press, with an introduction by William S. Burroughs, 1984.
Invited by the Venice in Peril Foundation to produce a body of work on the city of Venice for an exhibition held in conjunction with the Venice Biennale, 2011. Other artists included Candida Höfer, Philip-Lorca diCorcia, Nan Goldin & Lynne Cohen. A catalogue was published by Ivorypress titled Real Venice.
Magazine portfolios & reviews
Aperture, Artscanada, Artforum, Artsmagazine, American Photographer, Artystyczne, Border Crossings, British Journal of Photography, Canadian Art, CV, Creative Camera, Popular Photography, Foto Tapeta, Harpers, Kunstbeeld, Fotografia, Forma, Pismo, Parachute, Stern, London Magazine, View, & Trendy
- Bibliothéque nationale, Paris, France
- Maison europeenne de la photographie, Paris, France
- Musée de la photographie à Charleroi, Belgium
- Fotographie Forum International, Frankfurt, Germany
- Museum Jan Cunen, Oss, Netherlands
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London, England
- Musée de l’Elysée, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Kunsthaus Museum, Zurich, Switzerland
- Muzeum Sztuki, Łódź, Poland
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal, Canada
- Musée d’art contemporain, Montreal, Canada
- Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography, Ottawa, Canada
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- Canada Council Art Bank, Ottawa, Canada
- Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, Canada
Grants, prizes, awards
- Canada Council arts grants 1980, 1990, 2002
- Ministére des Affaires culturelles du Québec, 1995
- First prize for photography of cultural monument, Dept of Culture, City of Montreal, 2000
- Color is Power nominated one of 100 best books of the year by the Globe & Mail, 2003
- American Photographer magazine selected Color is Power as one of season’s best photography books, 2003
- Awarded silver medal from the National Magazine Foundation for best portfolio in Border Crossings magazine, 2001
- Shortlisted for the Scotiabank Photo Award, 2013